photo header2_zps670ef9f4.png

Thursday, February 6, 2014

When do you know that it's time to go?


When do you know it's time to move on?

Some work History:

Job #1: When I was going to school I worked at a physical therapy clinic as a tech in the gym, I helped the patients get up and down, get on the machines, all that. When I decided not to go to school anymore I needed a more permanent job, or at least one that paid more.

Job #2: Retail, I went to a large retail company (similar to Macy's) in our area, I worked there for about 8 months when Mr. Spiel and I hit it off. After a couple months of dating under the radar, we decided that if we wanted this relationship to grow, something had to change. The store manager told us that it would be best for Roland's career for us not to date, so I found a new job. Technically an old job.

Job #3: Back to #1. Now I'm back at the physical therapy clinic but instead of being a tech I work in the office, billing, insurance, I'm your girl. It's taken me awhile to get to where I am now, with the knowledge of insurance companies being so vast it's not an easy trade to learn. When I first started out I loved my job, it was awesome. 8-5, closed on the weekends, closed major holidays, during slower months I'm usually out of here by 4:30, a whole hour for lunch, what's not to love. Lately, things aren't so hunky dory, I still enjoy what I do, I like billing, I like insurance (even though some days they are a real pain in the ass), but the people. My boss is a real asshole some days, yes he owns the business and its his responsibility and he can do what he wants, but good grief. 3 out of 5 work days I LOATHE coming in. The two I enjoy? Monday and Friday.

I appreciate everything my boss has done for me, hired me for a job that should have required experience, gave me an opportunity to learn a new system, had faith in me to purchase a new system that I could learn, letting me wait an hour to come in when the roads aren't great, he's not a bad guy, just has bad days.

Every time I complain about a bad day to Mr. Spiel he says I just need to find a new job, but if I look for a new job just because I'm bored, or unhappy at this one, when am I ever going to stick with a job? I love what I do, I get paid fairly well, and I'm learning something here that I'll be able to use when we have to move in a few years. Most medical offices now a days aren't hiring unless you have a degree or a medical coding certification. If I have 4 years experience under my belt they have to at least consider me.

So at what point do you know that it's time to go? When do you know that there is something out there that you'll enjoy even more?

For the longest time I told him I didn't want to get a new job if we were going to have to move in a couple months for his job, but we found out we'll be here for at least 2 more years. So if a change is going to be made, it needs to be made now. I'm not looking for a dream job, or even something I might do for the rest of my life, but I don't want to loathe going to work.

Now that this seriously depressing post has dampened your day,

Have a fabulous Thursday!




 photo sig_zps436b4c5d.png

1 comment:

  1. Hey girly! I tagged you in my post today :)

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete