photo header2_zps670ef9f4.png

Monday, October 7, 2013

DIY Spiel: Wine Bottles


Where does the time go? I mean, IT'S OCTOBER! On the other hand, thank goodness it's October, another year under the belt. Unfortunately the hardest part of the year isn't even over. Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years is still haunting us. I love Christmas time, Christmas lights, Christmas trees, the whole shebang. Mr. Spiel and I got engaged in December at the lights festival near us. Magical is the only word I can really use to describe it. Our actual holidays didn't go as planned last year though. He and I have been dating for a year and a half (give or take a little) our parent's still haven't met. Weird? Maybe, but his parents work, my parents work, and go to school, Mr. Spiel works weekends sometimes, it's all very complicated. I digress, since they haven't met it's hard doing holiday's separately. Which we tried to do last year, Thanksgiving Mr. Spiel was sick so I stayed at home most of the day hoping he would feel better, when that didn't happen I went to my parents house and looked through ads. Needless to say, it wasn't very thanksgiving-y. Christmas was even worse. We spent Christmas Eve with his family (which was great, his grandma makes the best hot chocolate, no lie) then we went our separate ways, I stayed at my parents house, he stayed at his, and the next day he was going to come to my parents house for lunch and gifts and cards. THEN IT SNOWED. WE LIVE IN OKLAHOMA....IT NEVER SNOWS. At least not as bad as it did that day. My dad had to take me to my apartment to get our puppy because we didn't know how long this snow was going to last. Mr. Spiel's car couldn't drive in it, and my mustang was parked in the driveway for about three days. It was awful.


All of this to say, this year we're more prepared. Our parents are going to meet sometime this month, we're going to do Thanksgiving together, and Christmas is a crap shoot, but we'll get it figured out. I'm pretty sure nothing could be as bad as our first Christmas, so bring it on snow.


With ALL of that being said, I'M READY FOR THE HOLIDAYS!

I know this blog feels like it's all over the place (which it probably is) but I have a point, I promise.

I love wine, I've only recently become a wine drinker, but it's great. I suggest everyone try it, if you're of age. So I have all the wine bottles that I don't want to throw away, because I know I can find something on pintrest to use them for. After painting them with acrylic paint (that was a bust), I purchased some spray chalkboard paint. Magic, this stuff is, it went on great and dried quick. Since I bought it I've also painted labels on my mason jars with bathroom stuff in them, and I plan on painting the lid to my washer chalkboard (maybe, Mr. Spiel doesn't think it will work, but I'm sure he's tired of finding stuff in the dryer that shouldn't be in there too)
The bad part about the wine bottles being all black was they looked so dreary. Even with all the colored chalk in the world they were still just black, no character.  So I did some pinsearch (instead of research) and came up with (what I think) is a great idea. I wrapped just the neck of the bottle in hemp polished twine!


What do you think? Improvement yes?

No comments:

Post a Comment